Thursday, November 1, 2012

Experimenting: Consommé


Consommé is a type of clear soup made from richly flavored stock or bouillon that has been clarified. Consommé should be strong, rich and full-flavored. It's basic ingredients are Lean ground meat, egg whites (which is used for clarifying) mirepoix and acid ingredients (like tomato or lemon juice).

I have attempted to make this soups three times. Twice when I was a culinary students. (I challenged myself to prepare this soup and failed. After all, consommé is considered to be one of the difficult soups to prepare among us students). And recently, I've tried to make consommé again. And on the third attempt, I believe that I have failed. Again. Haha...

The first and second consommé I made weren't clear at all. They were cloudy. And the third one is a bit clearer than the previous two, but it seems that it wasn't thoroughly strain. (yikes!) You can see the picture there that it wasn't strained very well.

Oh well... I should attempt to make this soup again when I had the time to. Have you tried to make consommé before? How did yours turn up to be?

2 comments:

  1. hi nash, wow! you are very close to perfection. i have never tried this-would love to pick up the challenge,. hmmm ...when do i start?..have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wan! Do tell me when you pick up the challenge :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...