Monday, September 5, 2011

Sambal Terung/Eggplant Sambal


When I was a lot younger, my friend told me that eating eggplant would make you stupid. So, I haven't been eating eggplant since then. It wasn't until I was doing my diploma when a friend told me that I was stupid for believing that eating eggplant would make me stupid. I've started to eat eggplant since then. Well, my friends loved Sambal Terung (Terung = Eggplant), and I've learnt to eat and prepare this dish from her.

Sambal Terung

3 medium sized eggplant
a pinch of salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder

2 tbsp dried shrimp
1 red chili
1 medium sized shallot
2 clove garlic
1 - 2 tbsp chili paste
2 tbsp sugar
a pinch of salt

1. Slice eggplant diagonally. combine with salt and turmeric powder. Deep fry until soften. Remove from heat and set aside. 
2. Use mortar and pestle to pound dried shrimp, red chili, shallot and garlic (or blender).
3. Heat up a wok with oil. Transfer the pounded ingredients into wok and stir-fry continuously for a minute. Add in chili paste and stir fry for a few minutes or the oil separates from the sambal. 
4. Add in sugar and salt. Mix well.
5. Add in fried eggplant into the sambal and combine well. And they're ready to be served.

1 comment:

  1. My favourite, but not really have the chance to eat it now since my hubby don't like to eat this terung, also due to some stupid mitos..hihihih

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...