Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gai Hor Bai Toey/Deep Fried Chicken wrapped in Pandan Leaves


I've always wanted to try making this Gai Hor Bai Toay. I've learned them while I was still in culinary school, and there was one Thai Chef coming to our school to demonstrate a few of Thailand cuisine. I thought that the wrapping procedure looks fun! A few of my classmate did get the experience to wrap the chicken with those Pandan/Screwpine leaves. I didn't. Well, we didn't have enough Pandan leaves to begin with. 


Ingredients

500g Chicken
60g Pandan Leaves
150ml Cooking Oil
100g Palm Sugar/Brown Sugar
20g Salt
3-5 nos Pandan Leaves - blended
Pandan/Screwpine Leaves
Toothpick

1. Cut the chicken into a small size. Then, marinate with cooking oil, palm sugar, salt, oyster sauce and with blended pandan leaves. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes, put the chicken in the pandan leaves. Wrap it.
3. Steam the chicken for a while (about 2 to 5 minutes). You don't want to steam them too long, or your chicken gets dry. Then, deep fry the chicken.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image from asianonlinerecipe

 
Sauce

100ml Water
50gm Shallot - finely chopped
40g Garlic - finely chopped
50g Brown Sugar
50ml Fish Sauce
50ml Dark Soy Sauce
100ml Coconut Milk
40g Dried Chili Powder
2 tbsp Tamarind Juice

1. Combine all ingredients in the pot, and simmer them until thick

I guess, the hardest part of making this dish is the wrapping part. I get confused, and I used too many toothpick in the first batch in wrapping them. After a few practice, the wrapping gets a lot easier.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...