Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mexican Bun

 
While I was out shopping with my mother a months ago, she mentioned her cravings for this Mexican bun. When I went home, I googled on the internet and find a recipe. I've been planning to make this bun for her. Of course, experimenting is a new recipe is part of my hobby too :) 

However, while planning to experimenting this recipe, I had a few problems with ingredients. So, I haven't had the chance to experimenting until recently. This bun consist of three parts - dough, filling, and topping which you had to pipe spirally on top of the bun.

 Yes, I know that my piping is sloppy.

 But, once they're in the oven, they look pretty okay~ Well, the fillings melted.

These are the delicious buns! Okay, so I put on too much toppings on top.

But the result is so worth it. Crusty toppings with soft bun and a hint of coffee combined with the melted butter on the center/filling. They are soo good!


Mexican Bun Filling

200g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
70g brown sugar

1. Beat butter with medium speed for 3 minutes. 
2. Add in vanilla essence and brown sugar.
3. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Mexican Bun Topping

200g butter
160g icing sugar
3nos eggs - beaten lightly
2 tbsp instant coffee + 1 tbsp hot water or coffee flavoring
200g flour

1. Beat butter with medium speed for 5 minutes.
2. Carefully beat in icing sugar, eggs and coffee flavoring.
3. Sieve flour into the mixture, and beat until it is mixed well.
4. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.


Mexican Bun Dough

500g flour - sieved
2 tsp bread improver + 2 tsp bread softener (optional)
75g castor sugar
3 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 # egg
250ml milk
60g butter - soften

1. Preheat the oven over 170°Celsius.
2. Sieve flour, sugar and salt with a whisk. Add in yeast, bread improver and bread softener.
3. Add in egg and milk.
4. Knead the dough and add in butter. Knead the dough until soft for about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Divide the dough to 15 small ball, and cover with plastic food wrap for 10 minutes.
6. Flatten the dough on palm and scoop the filling and put it on the center of dough. Seal the dough tightly so that the filling didn't burst out of bun.
7. Arrange bun in the non sticking baking pan. Let the dough rest for 45 minutes.
8. Pipe the topping on top of bun spirally from top center.
9. Bake bun in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.



Congratulation me!

I haven't visit my blogs for a while. Last week, I was away attending my cousin wedding and visiting relatives. I went back home two days ago and had my convocation yesterday (Yes, I had bachelor degrees in culinary arts now :D).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...