I have always wanted to try making this dish since I've seen the recipe in Just Hungry. The problem was that I've been searching the bonito flakes to make some dashi, but couldn't find any supermarket in my area. So, a few days ago, I tried to google for some dashi substitute. Some of them suggested to use fish cubes to make some broth. Some of them suggested to use chicken broth or vegetables with some Thai fish sauce. Then, there was one person suggesting to use beef broth with a bit of soy sauce and sugar. So, my problem was solved.
500g boiled potatoes
300g thinly slice beef (I used ground beef)
150g carrots - cut into bite size
1 medium onion - sliced
1 inch ginger - chopped
2 cups dashi, or substitute
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Some green onion for garnishing
1. Heat 1tbsp of vegetable oil in a deep pot, and sweat the onion and ginger. Then, add in the meat, and saute until browned.
2. Add in carrot and potato, and saute.
3. Pour dashi and bring them to boil.
4. Turn down the heat to medium and skim the scum. Add in sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Put a pot lid which is smaller than the pot you're using on top of potatoes.
5. Simmer until vegetables are softened, and liquid are almost gone.
6. Garnish with green onion before serving.