Made this on a friend's request. She requested some cupcakes to give away to a few friends, and I suggested vanilla and chocolate flavor. I made her some vanilla cupcakes with Swiss meringue butter cream and some brownies cupcakes with chocolate Swiss meringue butter cream.
I love meringue butter cream! They're fluffy, light and it's not as sweet as the usual butter cream. I made some adjustment in the Swiss meringue butter cream by adding in some melted chocolate. They taste really good!
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Butter Cream
10 large egg whites
500g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
100g chocolate, melted
1. Place sugar and egg whites in the heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, and whisk until sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes.
2. Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed about 10 minutes, until mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff and glossy peaks.
3. Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after each addition. If the butter cream appears curdled after the butter has been added, continue beating. It will become smooth again.
4. Switch to the paddle attachment, and beat on the lowest speed to eliminate any air pockets, about 5 minutes.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave, and let it cool a bit. Then, gently pour in the melted chocolate into the butter cream on low speed.