I first heard of passion fruit during my practicum training four years ago. I had to prepare a passion fruit mousse. I remember that they were using passion fruit puree. So I have absolutely no idea how a passion fruit looks like.... Imagine how excited I am when I saw this fruit in the market! I bought them without really knowing how to tell if they're ripen or not, and not knowing how to eat this fruit. So I decided to cut them into half, and eat the inside. Passion fruit had a tart and acidic taste with aromatic flavors. I decided that I'm going to experiment making passion fruit cupcakes. I thought it's going to taste perfect -- and summer-ish.
Passion Fruit Vanilla Cake (modified from Angry Cherry's recipe)
1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup passion fruit puree
1/4 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure the batter is completely smooth and the each egg is incorporated before adding the next.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract passion fruit puree and milk.
5. Add the flour slowly and fold the ingredients together.
6. Divide the batter equally between the muffin cups.
7. Bake for 30 ~ 32 minutes, or until a cake tested inserted into the middle-most cupcake comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool to completely before frosting.
I frosted the cupcake with creme cheese frosting and spooned a bit more of extra puree on top. The cake itself taste really good (especially when they are still warm out of the oven)!
What would you experiment to do with this fruit?
Visit Angry Cherry to learn to make a passion fruit frosting!