Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Experimenting: Prawn Siu Mai

I saw this nice dim sum steamer the other day, when I went shopping with my brother. I've always wanted to try making dim sum! So, I made my brother paid for the steamer  ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ


The nice dim sum steamer.




First steamed dim sum. It looks good, doesn't it? However, they seemed to be sticking with each other due to my the arrangement. Lesson learned: don't arrange it so closely together! ☆⌒(>。≪)





Second batch of the steamed dim sum. Those dim sum was sticking on the cloth _| ̄|○ I used towel as I couldn't find any other suitable cloths. Maybe I shouldn't be using towel the next time I made this? ( ̄へ ̄)


The recipe is basically as follows:
Yellow skin wonton  30nos.

Fillings:
200 g     Prawn
4g          Salt
12g        Corn Starch (dissolve with a bit water)
20g        Onion
50g        Carrot (diced, small)
50g        Chinese Turnip

Heat oil, add in onion. Let it sweat. Stir in prawn and vegetable. Then, pour in the corn starch. Season with salt and pepper.

Lay a piece of wonton skin. Wet the edges. Put 2 to 3 teaspoons of filling in the middle. Gather up the edges of the wrapper and gently pleat so that it forms a basket shape, with the top of the filling exposed.

Steam over boiling water for five minutes. Steaming for more than five minutes would ruin the taste a bit (as according to the chef).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...